Monday, December 27, 2010

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

We had a white Christmas!  I know that doesn't mean much to a lot of you, but for me, it was my first white Christmas, and for my little town, it's been the first white Christmas in 47 years!  So you can imagine, it was pretty special.  That and we've all had precious moments with extended family!

So the perfect book for such an occasion is Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening (c. 1978).  Once again, Susan Jeffers gives us a breathtakingly beautiful book.  You must check out her interpretation of  Robert Frost's poem.


Jeffers lends an enchanting quality to Frost's quietly enthralling poem.  Frost's poem conveys the magical silence and deceleration to life's pace that a newly falling snow brings about.  Jeffers faithfully compliments the peaceful solitude captured by Frost's poem.  The text and illustrations in this book transports the reader into the allure of a snowstorm, bestowing a serene and spellbinding experience.


Readers, comment on which page or spread is your favorite.  It's a tough choice, isn't it!

5 comments:

  1. How I love love this poem. I was thinking of it the other day as we were in a walk in the woods in England. I should read it to my kids soon - thank you for the reminder ;)

    So fun that not only did you get snow, but in time for Christmas. What timing! Happy New Year, XO L
    P.S. Didn't Jane give you an award recently? Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one of my favourite books that I read to my children. If you ever venture to my other blog, often I quote this poem with my photos.
    Jeffers truly has captured the quietude of winter as I see it. Ironically, the photo you posted is almost exactly the scene I see out my kitchen window, minus the man, horse and sleigh of course.
    My daughter has my copy of the book and I cannot recall exactly the illustrations with the verses. But whatever accompanies the lines "The only other sound's the sweep Of easy wind and downy flake" would be my favourite because that is exactly the sound you hear at night in the forest during a light snowfall.
    Lastly, so glad you experienced a white Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother-in-law just gave our family for Christmas, That Quail Robert by Margaret Stanger. We've been reading it together a night - it is the most fabulous true story about a quail that adopts a human family. I thought of you immediately, that you would love it.
    Happy New Year! XOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily
    So glad you stopped by to say hello. What an enchanting blog you have. I love the concept! I think of all the hours I spent in the library when my kids were younger. My youngest is now 11 and loves to read. We are always looking for a good story. Each one of my children (4) has been different in their reading style and choices. An excellent choice here and one I am not familiar with. I look forward to having a peek :)

    My very best wishes to you...I look forward to reading along!

    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me it's a white Christmas every year. If it's not snowing in December where I live that is very unusual.

    ReplyDelete