Monday, June 13, 2011

Mr. Gumpy's Outing


I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been raiding my mother's bookshelves again.  I just love the stories I grew up hearing read.  What's even better is passing them down to my children.

Today I'm going to keep it short and sweet.  Read Mr. Gumpy's Outing (c. 1970) written and illustrated by John Burningham.

Mr. Gumpy is not to be confused with Mr. Grumpy!

It's a rollicking good time!
It's endearing.
The kids love it!!!
It's a great way to teach sequencing skills.
It's available in our local library.
So check it out, and read it again and again!
Need I point out how wonderful the pictures are?!


Interesting fact: John Burningham is married to the award-winning children's books illustrator Helen Oxenbury (stay tuned for more to come by her).

Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car (c. 1973) is a fun follow-up to Mr. Gumpy's Outing.

1 comment:

  1. I just love Mr Gumpy, these are super books to share with one child or a whole class, they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete