For you first timers to Betsy-Tacy series, let me describe them to you:
- Betsy and Tacy become inseparable friends almost as soon as they meet each other at the age of four.
- The girls vastly differ in physical features and personality, but you find how well their traits complement each other.
- Lovelace loosely bases the stories on her own childhood.
- Lovelace began telling her childhood stories to her daughter before writing the fictitious stories of Betsy, Tacy, and then Tib.
- For you Little House on the Prairie lovers: do you remember Wilder writing about "Pa" going to Mankato, Minnesota? Well, Betsy and Tacy grow up in Mankato during the turn of the century. So we see a different midwestern life than the hardships Laura Ingalls Wilder faces.
Please, please take the time to check out the Betsy-Tacy Society website for more information http://www.betsy-tacysociety.org/. Here are some resources we found on the site:
- a chart of Lovelace's Betsy-Tacy series with corresponding ages
- reading comprehension questions
- a Maud Hart Lovelace bio
- coloring pages
- birthday party ideas
- word puzzles
- a personality quiz
- and more
Readers, please comment on your favorite of the Betsy-Tacy books. Did you grow up reading this series? Any memorable moments/chapters?