Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Bear Feels Sick

I picked up a head cold from my dear children last week, and it's slowly made it's way to my chest.  So, with the exception of the Mister, we've all been sneezing and coughing.  I'm telling you, the Puffs, Ricola, Honey Chestal, humidifier, and Vicks Vapor Rub are all taking up some prime real estate around here!  Anyone want to come over?  :)



Our go to book in times of illness is Bear Feels Sick by Karma Wilson and illustrated by Jane Chapman.  Wilson writes her story in rhyming verse, so it's especially catchy with the preschool and kindergarten ages.  We soon learn that bear has caught an "autumn" cold.  The kids love saying the repetitive refrain throughout the book; all I have to do is pause, and they quickly jump in with "And the bear feels sick!"  Bear's friends Mouse, Hare, Badger, Gopher, Mole, Raven, Owl, and Wren all come together to take care of him with such tenderness.  Taking Wilson's text a bit further, Chapman's sweet, cozy illustrations compliment Wilson's story with specific ways the friends care for bear.  Then the story concludes with a twist that you  mothers will not be surprised by.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily--My mom (Cathy Wolff) :-) gave me your blog. This is exciting. I think your blog is a wonderful resource that I am going to use for my own classroom. I am going to add you to my blogs that I follow. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great concept for a blog ;) We love these Bear books - such great rhyming and illustrations.

    You may want to check out my previous posts on Beatrix Potter and Roald Dahl. I love childrens books like you ;)

    XO Laura

    ReplyDelete