Monday, September 6, 2010

How it all started:

I hear this request regularly, "Read me a story."  My kids have sharpened their debating techniques with this one plea, unfolding their reasons as to why they should have another book and another read to them, deliberating between themselves over whose turn it is to pick the next one out, contesting one story against the other.

Stories provide an interesting, unexplainable comfort for them.  One day, I found my youngest shimmied between the rocker and the wall.  A few dolls were lined up by her side as she thumbed through a pile of books toppling against the wall.  Minutes upon minutes passed as she lost herself in the many illustrated stories.  That's my girl!

My husband and I have read Tikki Tikki Tembo and Great Day for Up! until we recite them in our sleep.  Scary!  And still, we read them over and over and over again.  However, this mommy has had to discover many more titles to preserve my sanity!

So this blog is dedicated to covering the titles we can't live without.  I'll also share my impressions on the rare titles that didn't quite work out as well.  I would love and welcome any reading suggestions or thoughts.  But until then, happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I am also that mother who has been so frustrated by the library. It's amazing how many BAD books there are out there! I know there is a LONG list of fantastic books, I just haven't had the "time" to figure out where it is. Thank you for sending me the link to your blog! My children will thank you one day too. I just love your list & we're going to the library today to check out as many as they have that we haven't read already. The all-time favorite at our house is Jamberry. I used to wake up at 2am with that book in my head. The power of books.... Thanks again for blogging and the list!!!! Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete