Friday, June 22, 2012
Here's a series of books that shows how an author paired with the right artist makes the book. Enter Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor and illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser which debuted in picture book edition in 2005, with I Can Read books following in 2008 beginning with Fancy Nancy and the Boy from Paris.
What do we love about Fancy Nancy books here at Read Me A Story? Everything!!!
* Fancy Nancy teaches vocabulary while introducing various extensions of the sciences, arts, and natural world.
* Fancy Nancy loves anything and everything fancy (think frilly, prissy, etc.). She dresses up her vocabulary too, with "big words" and French words.
* The basic Fancy Nancy storyline goes something like: meaning well, Nancy Clancy ends up getting herself in a pickle of a predicament where an adult comes in to help her solve the problem and figure out a resolution.
* The messages in Fancy Nancy books promote good values of honesty, trust, friendship, etc.
* Personal testimony: the gals at my house simply ADORE Fancy Nancy!!!
* Professional testimony: O'Connor and Preiss Glasser's books have remained one of my #1 book recommendations since their debute in 2005. These are our favorite books to gift and recommend to girls everywhere!
So there you have it folks! I apologize that I'm just now getting to our beloved Fancy Nancy here in 2012. If you're not a fan, then what are you waiting for?! ;)
If you don't take my word for it, read this excellent recommendation: http://www.smartmompicks.com/a-well-spoken-and-well-adjusted-child-with-fancy-nancy-books/
While I don't have room to post all the Fancy Nancy book covers, I'll post our very favorites: