Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mama Loves


Mama Loves (c. 2004) by Rebecca Kai Dotlich and illustrated by Kathryn Brown subtly (and nostalgically) chronicles the different seasons through a child's point-of-view.  Since Botlich and Brown randomly disperse the various seasons throughout the pages, it also presents a learning activity in identifying each two-page spread's particular season.

The rhymes weave the story of a mother's time spent with her young, spinning memories into their hearts.  Our worn cover gives testament that this remains one of the kids' very favorite books.  I think they find comfort in having it read and re-read to them every night.  It's a cozy book, radiating warmth in both illustrations and text, that's almost as good as a hug from Mom.  Here's an excerpt:

Mama loves
apples in autumn.
Sidewalks and leaves.
Sweaters and pumpkins
and walking
with me.





Note: Mama Loves makes a wonderful Mother's Day gift to mothers, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers.  My own mother gave this to me for my very first Mother's Day.

p.s.  The Mister says, "That's one of my all-time favorite books."

No comments:

Post a Comment