Sunday, February 6, 2011

Stone Soup

Reknown artist Jon J Muth takes children's book illustration to a whole new level.  His talent and experience exceed expectation, lending to museum quality masterpieces.  He received a Caldecott Honor in 2006 for his book Zen Shorts

Today, I'd like to share his deft retelling and beautiful watercolor edition of Stone Soup (2003).  You'll read this book several times just to digest its fullness; there's just so much to absorb.  Muth does a brilliant job of contrasting suspicion against sharing.  And we (the fam) have been struck spellbound with Muth's spin, incorporating three wise, Chinese monks to lead the storyline, while skillfully composing his tale using the Eastern beauty of metaphors and similes.  The Mister adds, "This is one of my all time favorites.  I love reading it (and re-reading it).  And I love looking at all the pictures, even the cat that appears on every page."  Check out Scholastic's brief bio of Jon J Muth here.

Read Marcia Brown's 1947 Caldecott Medal winner edition to contrast the traditionally humorous, European rooted tale against Muth's rendition.  You'll enjoy both spins.  In fact, I'd love to hear which one is your family's favorite!

1 comment:

  1. This was the first record I ever owned... It was 7 inch vinyl and had someone narrating Stone Soup... I can still remember it to this day! I've not heard the Jon J Muth version... in fact it's a long time since I heard this story at all. Lx

    ReplyDelete